Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry that is CompatTelRunner.exe is the executable file which is responsible for the collection of all statistical data from Windows users and then transmits all the collected data to Microsoft. However, sometimes complicated acronym and high CPU usage sparked doubts about this file and its necessity. Thus the acronym mainly stands for Windows Compatibility Telemetry and is a legitimate Windows process. Fortunately, the file is not essential for any of the successful operation of Windows and if the executable file runs on an older version of the operating system which results to drains quite an amount of CPU usage, results in terminating the process might be even a necessity.
Method 1: Shut Down PC By CompatTelRunner.exe With Command Prompt
One of the fastest options for PC shut down is the command to use the integral Windows application – Command Prompt.
- Step 1: First launch it by clicking Windows key+R.
- Step 2: After then type cmd and click Enter.
- Step 3: Once Command Prompt launches, type the following keys and press Enter key after each successive command.
sc delete DiagTrack
sc delete dmwappushservice
echo “” > C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\Diagnosis\\ETLLogs\\AutoLogger\\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
reg “HKLM\\Software\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows\\DataCollection” /v GrantTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Method 2: Change The Registry Entry Value To Disable CompatTelRunner.exe
- Step 1: Altogether press Windows key+R and type Regedit.
- Step 2: Run Registry Editor.
- Step 3: After it opens, go to the following location by simply paste the address in the upper search box of Registry Editor
- Step 4: Right-click on open space and choose New, DWORD (32-bit) value, name the file AllowTelemetry.
- Step 5: Right-click on it and choose Modify. Then, set the Registry value to 0.
Method 3: Disable CompatTelRunner.exe Via Services
- Step 1: Firstly, click on the Start button.
- Step 2: Then right-click on File explorer and opt for More. Expand the list and choose Manage.
- Step 3: Go to the following location that is Services and Applications, Services in the left pane. Search or find for Diagnostics Tracking Service or Connected User Experiences and Telemetry service and renamed with the installation of Windows 1511 build.
- Step4: Now double-click on it and make sure that the command is inactive and select Disabled under Startup type option.
Thus, all these above-mentioned methods will help you only to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry (CompatTelRunner.exe). However, if you still experience problems to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry (CompatTelRunner.exe) then trying to solve this issue by taking help of technical support.