Are you suffering with 0x80071771 “The specified file could not be decrypted” error and searching for an appropriate solution to fix this issue? If so, reading this post will be beneficial for you. Here, you will get an appropriate and easy guide through which you can easily fix 0x80071771 “The specified file could not be decrypted” error.
Know about 0x80071771 “The specified file could not be decrypted” error
0x80071771 “The specified file could not be decrypted” error is actually an error message that describes that there is an error in EFS means Encrypting File System. EFS is actually an in-built encryption utility in Windows PC developed for the sake of people’s files security. The function of EFS renders a standard cryptographic algorithms that locks users files and makes PC unprotected. Locked data are usually protected from physical possession and from those people who have an unauthorized access to files and Computer. Despite of all feature, EFS protection may become issue if owner of data doesn’t possesses an appropriate file cryptographic key.
Causes behind the appearances of 0x80071771 “The specified file could not be decrypted” error
0x80071771 “The specified file could not be decrypted” error can be faced by System users due to several reasons but some of them are as follows :
- Execution of several applications at a single time.
- Excessive startup entries.
- Errors in registry entries.
- Unnecessary or redundant program installation.
- Malware attack etc.
Tips 1 – Take complete permission to access Computer files
- Go to your hard drive.
- Right-click on your System’s hard drive and choose Properties option.
- Open the Security tab and then hit on Edit key.
- On the next window, choose Add option and type “Everyone” (without quotes) in section of Enter the objects names.
- To save changes, click on OK button.
- On the next window, click on Everyone and mark on the check box of Allow next to Full Control under the section of ‘Permissions for Everyone’.
- Again click on Apply and OK button to save modifications.
- Upon performing aforementioned step, now reopen Security tab and open the section of Advanced.
- Now click on ‘Change Permissions’ which appeared at bottom of window.
- Now type Everyone and click on OK button.
- Mark ‘Replace owner’ on the sub-containers and objects option then click on Apply button.
- Then after open the Auditing tab and then click on Add button.
- On the next window, click on ‘Select a principal’ option and then type Everyone.
- To save modifications, click on OK button.
- After that find section of Basic permissions and mark check-box next to the Full Control.
- Click on OK, Apply and then OK button to approve modifications.
- Lastly, restart your Computer.
Tips 2 – Apply Decryption Steps
- Just right-click on folder or file that displays 0x80071771 “The specified file could not be decrypted” error.
- Now choose Properties option.
- Go to General tab > choose Advanced.
- To secure data option, unmark on ‘Encrypt contents’ and then click on OK button.
- To Apply modifications click on Next button and then OK